Monday, February 25, 2019

Keeping it real!

I would be lying if I said the last couple of weeks were easy. They have been extremely tiring. First of all, I've been sick. It's hard to exercise when you don't feel well. My lungs were on fire every single time I stepped on the tread mill and my head was stuffy. It was hard to want to go to the gym or walk the pups. I did something 6 out the 7 days. Mind you, my exercise was pretty easy going. The important thing I learned is to just keep going even if you don't feel well. It doesn't have to be intense exercise but do something. Listening to your body is the most important thing.

The second hard thing has been increasing my intensity (before the cold happened). I feel my body getting stronger and that's been great. Knowing that I need to lift heavier weights or increase speed or incline on the treadmill is a bit scary. The best advice I can give is to push through those thoughts and realize you are stronger and more capable than you think you are. Tonight was a successful work out. I was able to breathe (yay!) and increase weights. It felt good. I will be a little sore tomorrow. However, it felt so good to get in an awesome workout. This will al be worth it in the end.

The third thing that has been hard is the food cravings. I don't know why, but this week I have wanted so many sweet things. While I have been good, I have found a way to work some sweet into my diet. Better to eat the cupcake I made yesterday and be done with the craving than to keep avoiding sugar and over indulge later. The cravings come and go. I find that as I eat better the cravings are less intense.

So, there you have it. It's been a hard couple of weeks but I'm pushing through. I'm down 12 pounds total and can run for a full minute (when I'm not sick). My eating is becoming better with each passing day. I just keep telling myself this will all be worth it in the end! I'm stronger than I think I am.

I'm adding some alternate exercises so that I don't get bored. I'm including the latest ones we have been given. Alternate them so you don't get used to just one routine. Warning … one of them is a killer leg workout and you will be sore. It gets better though.

Workout 3 - Look up exercises on the internet if you need to.
Legs: 3 sets
     Stationary lunges: 20 (10 each side)
     Leg press: 10
     Wall sit: 30 seconds
     Goblet squat: 10

Arms: 3 sets
     Push ups: 10
     21's: 7
     Zottman curls: 10

Abs: 3 sets
     Basic crunch: 15
     Ankle reachers: 15
     Plank: 20 seconds

Workout 4 - look up exercises on the internet if you need to.
Legs: 3 sets
     Pulsing donkey kicks: 24 (12 each side)
     Squats: 10
     Side step with exercise band: 20 (10 each side)

Arms: 3 sets
     Skull crushers: 10
     Dumbbell pull overs: 10
     Dumbbell squeeze press: 10

Abs: 3 sets
     Bicycles: 16
     Butterfly push: 15
     Dumbbell side bend: 20 (10 each side)

Do one of the strength workouts and finish off with cardio.  Work out 3 is hard on the legs and you will be sore but it does get better.

I'm finishing this post off with my famous salmon recipe. This is one of my most favorite meals to cook.


Grilled Lemon Dill Salmon

Mix the following in a 9x13 inch glass pan

1/2 cup olive oil
Zest of 2 lemons
Juice of 2 lemons (1/2 cup - use real lemons for juice)
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons salt
1 heaping tablespoon minced garlic (or less if you don't like garlic)
7 green onions chopped finely through the green stems
3/4 ounces of fresh dill (find it in the vegetable section of most stores)

Add salmon to mixture and let marinade for 2 hours
1 Costco salmon filet (about 3 1/2 pounds) cut into 6-8 portions (depends on size you prefer)

You can bake it if you prefer. I grill on medium for about 7 minutes on each side. You want nice grill marks and cooked through to your preference. I prefer medium rare.

The rice is brown rice cooked in an insta pot. Saute some celery and green onions until tender with olive oil. Add the rice and finish off with a nut. We've used walnuts, cashews, and almonds (whatever we have on hand).

Enjoy this meal! It's divine and super healthy. Keep up the hard work. You can do it.


No comments:

Post a Comment