Friday, January 25, 2019

Game on!

Tracy and I started this journey on Friday, January 18, 2019. We met down at Utah Valley Hospital. We were poked and measured. We also learned the basics of the program. To start, you need to take some measurements.

Measure what you are able:
Height
Weight
Blood pressure
Waist circumference (around the belly button)
Fasting blood sugar
Body Fat %
Cholesterol

Write the measurements down and put them away for the next 100 days! We won't measure again until the end of the journey. I think everyone will be surprised at the changes that can happen.

Another step to change is to start tracking your food. We haven't met with the nutritionist yet, but we have started tracking what we are eating. I personally like my fitness pal. It's a free app you can download on your phone. We were told to not worry about what an how much we were eating yet. The nutritionist just wants us to start tracking. I have noticed some positive changes in the way I eat just by writing things down. You will notice this as well.

The next step is to start exercising. It's proven that someone who has just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes can reverse it by losing 15% of their body weight. I don't have diabetes but if I continue poor habits, I am definitely heading toward it later in life. Losing weight will definitely help mentally and physically. Start with 45 minutes of constant activity a day. I chose walking. In the next few posts, I will outline the workout that my trainer is teaching me.

The last first step is to make a few achievable and measurable goals. You only need three or four. Having too many goals can get discouraging when not met. The other part of this step is to be accountable to the goals you make. I am writing them here so that everyone can see them. Feel free to make a comment with your own goals.

1. Eat a fruit/veggie with every meal. (I don't usually meet the recommended servings)
2. Exercise for 45 minutes or longer 5-7 days a week.  (gym 5 days and just walking they other 2)
3. Eat breakfast everyday! (I'm a horrible breakfast eater)
4. Be in bed between 10-11 and up at 6 on the weekdays.

So, there you have it. This is how we started this journey. I bought a membership to Planet Fitness. If anyone wants to join me at the gym in the evenings, I'm happy to show you the workouts I've been doing. I make a pretty good evening partner. I don't like getting up in the morning any earlier than I have to. Here's to living in work out clothes for the next little bit. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment